On Death, Duty & Dysphoria

On March 17, 2010 my beloved 89-year old grandmother was referred for hospice care. Her dearest wish was die at home surrounded by those who love her. Because she has been living with me for the past few years,
this meant that she would die in my house. On March 21, she got her wish.

I started this blog because I discovered that writing about the situation helped me to process the tide of new
information and swirling emotions that comes with being a hospice caregiver. By documenting my journey,
I hoped it would help me to cope with everything that happened in the days to come. It has.
I continue it now, both as a tribute her remarkable life, and as a means of coming to terms with her loss.

Everyone handles the death of a loved one a little differently. If you are dealing with a similar situation,
or if you are one of the many adult children or grandchildren faced (as I have been) with making end-of-life care choices
for an elderly relative, I hope these posts will help provide some perspective. Perhaps, in some small way,
my experiences will help you cope during your own journey.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Memorial 1.0

Back in the saddle, after taking a couple of days off.  Saturday was the memorial service - the first of two, as we will be having another one in Florida in May.  I was too wrung out to write on that day, and wanted to spend some time with friends and family who came in from out of town.  On Sunday, I slept - FINALLY.  I still woke up about every two hours, but I ended up sleeping most of the day.  No panic attacks, and I feel much better.

Today I had to hit the ground running, as I have two deadlines to meet by Thursday, and am running behind after two very unproductive weeks.  I still find it difficult to focus on business with so much still hanging over my head (thank you notes, sorting through Peggy's belongings, planning the Florida memorial), but I have to make a living.  Pity poor Brian, because nothing is going to get cleaned or cooked (at least by me) in this house until I get some serious work done.  I feel like I made some progress today, so at least I am headed in the right direction.

I would like to thank everyone who came to the meet and greet and/or attended Peggy's memorial on Saturday.  It was wonderful to be surrounded by so many people that Peggy loved who also loved her.  For those who could not make it, and in order to help myself remember it, I will re-count the events of the day:

I started my morning with - guess what - a Panic Attack.  I was in the process of getting ready to leave for the service when the toilet backed up.  I could not find the plunger to fix it, and the more I looked, the more  agitated I became.  By the time I did find the plunger and took care of the problem, I was hyperventilating. This lead to a 10 minute crying jag all over Brian.  After that, I was okay.  Good test of my water-proof mascara.

My greatest fear for the day was that I would not be able to make it through the memorial without having another attack.  Fortunately, I managed to keep it together - the morning meltdown was the only one I had that day.  (Of course, later in the day, I consumed a fair amount of alcohol, which tends to be conducive to relaxation.)

I had not been in the sanctuary of First United Methodist for many years.  It is my parents' church, but I have not attended a service there since I was in junior high school, and I don't remember it being so beautiful.  There were some gorgeous flower arrangements - including the one my mother picked out for our family (see photo above).  I was glad to see that many of them were colorful, very much in keeping with Peggy's spirit and personality.  Many people wore colored clothing, too, rather than mourning black - in honor of Peggy.

The service was meant to be a celebration of Peggy's life - it was simple, personal, and full of laughter as well as tears.  Mom did a fantastic job on the slide show of photos from Peggy's life, set to the tune of the old standard "Peg O' My Heart".  It was one of Grandma's favorites - it was the song that my grandfather used to sing to her, the one he always asked the band to play if they went dancing - it was "their song."  Brian played the piano - his own composition dedicated to Peggy.  Some members of the Harmony Central Chorus of Sweet Adelines sang two beautiful acapella numbers: "I'll Walk With God" and "From the First Hello".  Peggy was a charter member of the Des Moines Sweet Adelines, and it was a wonderful tribute to have them perform.

Pastor Barrie Tritle delivered a wonderful service - very upbeat and comforting.  I could tell that he really paid attention to the conversation he had with me and my mother.  He incorporated everything we asked for into the service, and added some lovely touches of his own.  Our dear friend Clive Elliott gave a wonderful eulogy, remembering Peggy through color and laughter.  Near the end of the service, we one of Peggy's favorite songs was played: "This Little Light of Mine."  It was a song she taught to all of her Sunday school classes (she taught Sunday school for more than 50 years), and we thought it was a perfect metaphor for what Peggy was - someone who added light to the world.  We all sang along, smiling through our tears.

A group of women from the church provided a luncheon for after the service - it wasn't fancy, but it was very kind of them to give up their time to prepare and serve the food.  I guess I've become cynical in my old age - we live in a world that has become so increasing disconnected and impersonal, I tend to be surprised by such small acts of human kindness.  How nice to be reminded that people can still be... well,  nice.

I was also very touched to see two of the staff from Home Instead - the respite care service who helped us care for Peggy before she was referred to hospice - who came to the church.  Home Instead is a fantastic company - my grandmother really loved all of the women who helped care for her in her final few weeks.  Even though their contract with us had come to an end, these sweet, compassionate ladies took the time to come and pay their respects. One of them - the wonderful Michelle - even came to the house last week with flowers, a cake, and a huge pan of lasagna. As Grandma would have said, "Honey, that's  another star in your crown."

Thank you to everyone who helped with the service, and those who attended.  Thank you to everyone who has sent cards and flowers, or brought food to my house (and to my mother's).  Thank you to everyone who has shared their memories of Peggy, either in letters, through e-mail, in person, and in the guest book for this blog.  Thank you for the love, friendship, and kindness you have given to our family - both to Peggy in her lifetime, and to us, in this time of sorrow.  The light of Peggy's presence is out now, but the light of her spirit shines on, in every life she touched - and I am sure that wherever she is now, she is still shining.  Thank you for helping us remember and celebrate her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment